Thursday, November 13, 2014

Clippings and Collections

In the pre-Pinterest world, I enjoyed browsing favorite magazines. I would clip articles on:
~how-to garden in a shady place
~ how-to garden in a sunny place
~the best ways to launder my whites
~places I'd like to visit someday like the Cylburn Arboretum in Baltimore
~18 different ways to use fresh greenery at Christmas
~pillows anyone?
~ ideas on how to be creative when hanging curtains, hanging pictures, how to hang ten while surfing.

Never mind that last part. I don't surf. Unless you count surfing the web which I partake in on occasion, such as looking up "hang ten" to make sure that was an actual term and I wasn't just making it up or pulling it from a dream.

You see, I found a file box this evening in my sewing corner and after I blew the dust off of it, I dug eagarly into the contents. Not only did I find potential craft ideas telling me how to customize my lampshades but I also found some projects involving papier-mache, old bottles and vintage photographs. Oh yes, this was getting good.

In amongst the photos of what my kitchen could look like (in my dreams), I came across a Country Home April 1990 article called "High Pasture". Showcasing a stately summer home (circa 1907) on the craggy shores of Maine I remembered why I tore it from the magazine and kept it. The home whispered of a time when life was slower, simpler and seemingly more romantic. It had an Anne of Green Gables quality about it; is it any wonder I was drawn to it? 

The Pinterest appeal was with me long before it was an app on my computer. There is nothing wrong with having a dream, an inspiration. A pinsperation if you will. I may never get around to having my gardens look like the shady havens I clipped and kept. I most likely won't have shelves filled with  color-coordinated office supplies and those cute little boxes while school-age children sit beneath at tidy desks happily doing their homework. As for the Attic Retreat complete with dormers and a cozy hammock strung beneath the eaves for the rainy Saturday afternoon...let's just say I have a hammock and I have an attic and leave it at that. 

 I am a dreamer. That's not a bad thing. I don't think Pinterest or magazine clippings make me feel like less of a woman. They inspire me to make the most of what I have been blessed with. Yes, I have had those creative what-in-the-world-was-that-supposed-to-be moments. 

"Oh, you got that on Pinterest?"

"Yes."

"It's umm, well, it's quite, ummm, interesting."

It was supposed to be a cow. A black angus cow. Although lion did enter my head and I tried to talk Ryan into having a Lion Cake for his birthday. After the face fell off, he tells me, "Mom, I didn't mean a standing up cow, just a flat cow on top of my cake." 

Ohhhh, now he tells me. 

But.....back to what I was saying. I like having ideas and tapping into other's creativity. The key for me is this:

Be inspired, but don't be disappointed. Life is fleeting just like the hours in my day. Keep my expectations ultra-realistic, my dreams a little unrealistic and let them meet in the middle. And I have had to learn to laugh at myself. A lot. 

Say, speaking of laughter, did I mention I have an old tin stuffed with my favorite funny cartoons? I could call that my Tin-terest. 

Love,
Dianne 

No comments:

Post a Comment