Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Day 1 (or Day 4) Focus on Living

November. Is is seriously November already? And not just November 1st but already November 4th going into the 5th. I had thought while it was still October that November would be a good month to try and write something every day. I'm already three days behind. Kinda like one step forward, two steps back, but here goes...

November is notorious for thankfulness and I could write about something I am thankful for each day. Or I could post some delicious holiday meal ideas to remind us that this is the season of weight gain. I could even enthrall you with my creativeness as I handcraft all manner of gifts for Christmas.

Actually, it may be more like this:
~I am thankful and I have been blessed so that may show up along the way, but I hope that is not just a November thing.

~Delicious holiday recipes? Hahahahahahahaha. I like looking at pictures of deliciously juicy turkeys displayed on platters with the right kinds of garnishes in all the right places. (Does that count?) I like thinking about making this year "the year" I actually am organized enough to make all those delicious, yet deceivingly nutritious meals with savory sauces, braided breads and 8 different kinds of pumpkin desserts involving cream cheese, caramel and pecans. I think but I don't really ever do. I usually keep to my basic recipes, tried and true, and maybe I'll share one or two with you.

~Homemade crafts for Christmas? Truly, if this was the plan, I should've started December 26, 2013. I have a scarf I started crocheting for Aaron in camouflage yarn from 7 years ago, give or take a few years. No kidding. Or I could mention the baby blanket I embroidered for Ryan that I started 11 years ago and never finished. Then there's the Nine-Patch quilt in all manner of mauve and country blue that was supposed to be Adrienne's and got as far as being a quilt top but no backing. That project is only 20 years behind schedule. Crafts for Christmas? Maybe. Maybe not.


So, it's November. Day 4. I can't go back and change Day 1, 2 or 3, but today is being lived, one moment at a time. I can choose to make the most of it. I can choose thankfulness. So, at the risk of being totally predictable, I am going to make today a  little bit of a "thankful" post. 

I am thankful that Adrienne has the day off from school. We can spend the day together and this doesn't happen to often anymore as she is busy, busy, busy with school, work and church. Even though she is sitting across from me doing homework and saying everything, and I mean everything,  aloud, I am thankful. (And I thought I talked to myself a lot!). She says this is how she stays focused. I don't know. She is bouncing from her school project, to cleaning out her document file, to emails, to I-don't-even-know-what-she-is-talking-about. She makes my head spin. 
November. It is a month of looking forward, looking ahead, at least it is for me, as I look forward to the upcoming holidays. But this year, I am going to focus on each day; at least I am going to try. Writing keeps me accountable in a way. Instead of getting crazy about what is coming up, I am going to choose, to try to live in the moment. I could focus on regrets, like wishing I'd written on November 1, 2, and 3, or wishing I had not done something, changed this or redone that, etc, etc, but I'm not. Instead, I am going to live for today, look for the positive, make the best of the negative. 

Like I said earlier, "here goes...." 

And here's a challenge. Leave me a note, a message, a post, a response, and tell me in a word (or words) what today means to you. Here's my word(s): Focus on Living instead of regret. 

Love,
Dianne







No comments:

Post a Comment