Saturday, July 13, 2013

"When Peace Like A River" Isn't

I could've written about how much it's been raining.
I thought about telling you about another Shakespeare adventure.
I debated the merits of discussing my latest project.
But then something happened.
Someone happened.

We were sitting at the Vacation Bible School program, watching the children as they were all singing, excited beyond ever holding still, when I started to feel sick. You know, that yucky queasy feeling? I excused myself, went out to get some fresh air and some ginger candy to suck on. Taking a deep breath, I went back in.

The singing continued, the children's excitement building at the thought of homemade ice-cream and kettle corn later. But my insides were still in knots. I felt anxious for no apparent reason. Stressed out over some concern I couldn't even express. I tried to pray, to focus on the words being sung.

I've got peace like a river…
     I've got joy like an ocean…
         I've got love like a fountain…

But I wasn't feeling it. Not tonight, and it frustrated me.
Suddenly, as the program was nearing an end, I just had to get out of there.
Leo said he'd drive me home and then go back to the church. So, he did.

Then as we pulled into the driveway and I was trying to explain how I felt, why I felt anxious, he just listened. Then, he prayed with me. He stopped time in that moment, with that prayer. A sifting of peace settled in over my shoulders, infusing my shivering soul with a glimmer of warmth.

Sometimes, in those moments, I am humbled. I am blessed. God gave me a gift when he turned my attention as a 15 year old to this cute blond guy. After all these years, he is the gift that keeps on giving.

The queasy feeling has gone away for the most part. I am listening to a CD of Psalms. The peace is starting to be like a river.

Good night,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment