Wednesday, July 24, 2013

All But No. 27

As a young girl, I'd say about 10 years old or so, I was introduced to the world of another girl who I wished I could be. Every night I'd go to bed with a golden colored paperback and I would read more of her adventures, her friends, her life. Oh, to be Trixie Belden for even a day…

She was my hero; I wanted to be her. My sister, Roxie, and I would play that we were Trixie and her best friend Honey Wheeler. We even tried to build our own clubhouse back in the woods. In my mind, I could ride horse just like her. (Just in my mind though because we didn't have any horses.) To this day, when I think about riding, I think about Trixie.

For quite a few years, on every Christmas or birthday list I'd request "Trixie Belden" books. All in all, there were 34 of them and I wanted to read every single one. Over and over.

I may have been a little obsessed.

What am I saying…"may have been"? More like, "still am". You see, every time I go to a thrift store or yard sale, I scan the shelves or tables for that yellow/gold spine. I'd know it anywhere. But, for so long, I've been denied. Yes, I know I could go on ebay and find just what I want, but somehow the thrill of the hunt just isn't the same. So, I have continued my search for those last few elusive titles.

Until yesterday.

Ryan and I were looking for old songbooks at a Goodwill store. As I eyeballed the shelves I kept my radar up for that yellow spine. Then, when I was nearly done, I turned to see what Ryan was holding out to show me.

Then, my gaze went past his treasure right into a bin where, lined up in a row, underneath some scattered children's books was my prize. I felt like I was moving in slow motion as my hand reached out to push the other books aside. What if I am only dreaming? What if those really aren't what I think they are? 

But they were. I wanted to jump up and down, sing a song, dance a jig and say a toast. All at the same time.

Don't worry. I didn't.

I just gathered every last one of those books, put them on my stack and then went for a cart.
These. Books.Were. Mine. After all these years, would I finally be victorious in completing my collection?

Drum roll please.

Sigh. It's almost as good as striking gold. Can you see me smile? I even have extras to share with Adrienne who has also learned to love the books.

Except….

Sigh. I am now the owner of the Trixie Belden series, all except Number 27, "The Mystery of the Ghostly Galleon".

I guess I'll just have to continue my search. Besides, I kinda feel like Trixie looking for clues as I search. I may even stumble across an unsolved mystery. And catch the bad guy. While riding a horse.

Love,
Dianne



6 comments:

  1. I understand that feeling! I still scan the shelves for Grace Livingston Hill books, tho' I have over 60 of hers & a few duplicates as well...=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Grace Livingston Hill…even her name evokes a sigh. The Enchanted Barn was my favorite of hers. I have a collection of her books also and I believe you gave me some of those as Christmas gifts :) I may just have to go have a lazy day now, reading in the hammock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all things...I have read thousands of books and have never read Trixie Belden...I'll have to try one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, they were the best! Reading them now, it's of course not the same as when I was 10, but they will always hold a piece of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dianne!! Im slightly Jealous! :) I may have to borrow some of those! I LOVE those books!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcia, I am always delighted when I find another kindred Trixie reader. :)

    ReplyDelete