Tuesday, July 30, 2013

To Be a Kid Again


Sometimes I just want to be a kid again.
Like today. 
I want my problems to be about things like bug bites and missing flip-flops; 
my decisions to be about creamy vs. chunky peanut butter.
I want to sit in the dirt without thinking about germs.
I don't want my clothes to match.
I want to go barefoot in the barn.



I don't want to answer the phone. 
I want night shift to mean that it's time to catch fireflies.
I want my most serious look, my most intense frown to be about what I am playing,
what I am pretending. 
I want my faith in people to be unblemished. 
I want my faith in God to be unquestioned. 


I wanted to be a kid again today. 
I wanted the grins and laughter to be easy.
I needed someone to tell me what to do, not me doing the telling.
Some days are like that.
I get tired or maybe it's just lazy.
I don't feel like working and being the smart one with a degree. 
Because I don't feel smart. 
At all. 
I think that's why I wanted to be a kid again. 
Life was simpler then.
But really, who made it complicated?


I made it complicated. 
Because really and truly…
I can go barefooted in clothes that don't match.
I can play in the dirt.
I may have bigger problems than peanut butter and flip-flops, 
but I have a God who is bigger than even the biggest dilemma I face. 
Night shift can be about catching fireflies once in awhile.

I cannot be a kid again,
but I can have the faith of a child,
unwavering, uninhibited. 
I can choose to make wiser decisions, smarter choices. 
And now, I am choosing to move ahead,
onward and upward. 
I can't go back, only forward. 
Always forward, one foot in front of the other, 
a step at a time. 

Love,
Dianne

I Corinthians 13:11







No comments:

Post a Comment