Sunday, June 23, 2013

An Evening Changes to Night

Tonight was a good night for a walk. You see, I slept almost all afternoon after working last night and then I was able to be off tonight (low census~yay!), so when I woke up, I just felt restless. Yes, a walk would be just the thing. Ever better, a walk with my farmer.


I thought we were going to climb the hill across the
road so as to get a good view of the sunset. As it turns out, Leo wanted to check out potential grazing land. Always the farmer that man is. But, I didn't mind. I'd still get to see the sunset and he'd get to scope out the possibilities. 

It' is funny really. This hill has been across the road from the end of our driveway since we moved here 16+ years ago and until today, I'd never explored it. Of course, there was that time period that they were blasting and strip mining and taking a stroll through the area was rather frowned upon. I guess technically the hill that was there when we moved here is not really the same one that we traipsed all over tonight. But hey, lets not get too technical here. 


Climbing towards the top, our barn roof is seen peeking over the tops of pine trees and willow trees. 
See the white line of wrapped hay bales in the back field? My man has been working hard this week. 
Heather and Ryan, princess and prince of the bale wrapper, helped immensely!

But then, as I turn away from the view of the farm and fields, I am greeted by all of this. I am in awe. So much beauty in one place. So surrounded by creation, by the Creator.
 

 
As the sunset is setting over the patchwork of neighboring Amish farms, the moon in all it's glory is rising over ours. This moon, perfectly round with it's face unchanged over the many years I have known him, winked at us.

 The sky, an ever-changing watercolor kaleidoscope of purples, pinks, whites and blues is preparing for night. The mosquitos are humming, a single high-pitched note in my ear as another little jumpy bug perches on my wrist. The air cools and I slip my jacket back over my bare shoulders.

No longer restless, I am filled with peace as we sit a little while longer in the grass, barely kissed with the moisture of the evening. A campfire glows in our neighbors backyard and the wisps of conversation and laughter tease about our ears. Off in the distance, the rhythmic clip-clop of horses hooves is heard as a buggy nears home.

Home.

What a good place to be tonight.

The sky is dimmed and the world is hushed. I snap one more picture, trying to frame our barn within the view. I stand up and stretch, breathing my lungs full of crisp night air. Leo reaches for my hand and I curl my fingers around his.

Yes. Just that. Yes.


Love,
Dianne and Leo







2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I am rather impressed with the camera on my phone. So handy to have in my pocket :)

    ReplyDelete