Friday, June 14, 2013

The Joy of a Mugshot

"Please sign in here. Take a number."
          Oh-kay. Since I am the only one here, I see why that is necessary.
"Answer these few questions."
          Hmmm, organ donor, registered voter, changing my party, da-dee-da-dum....done.
"Sit there."
          Like I was going to sit anywhere else.
"Sit up straight."
          Yes ma'am.
"Get the hair out of your eyes."
         I obliged.
"Get the hair out of your eyes."
          I thought I had.
"More."
          I swiped again. Great, now my carefully coiffed hairdo will look weird.
"Well, okay. I guess that will have to do.
          You betcha.
"Tilt your head down a little."
          I did.
"Smile big!"
          You got it! But I am not saying "Cheese!".
"Do you want me to take another one?"
          Actually, no, this one turned it rather nice. For a Driver's License Photo.
          At least, I don't look like a criminal on this one. 

Expired June 2, 2013, my license photo needed retaken. I thought I had until June 30th, but when I looked at it the other day, I knew a special trip to Somerset was in order. So, while I do not enjoy this particular photo session, I am thankful it is only once every 4 years. And I really was tired of my old photo. But why do I stress about how I look on it? Really. It's only a Driver's License photo.

That everyone sees.

And usually, I look odd. One year I was biting my lower lip; it did not look sexy or shy, just odd. Other years my head is tilted in a whiplash  kind of way. Or my eyes are half closed. I try to look cool, nonchalant; I end up looking like I am sitting on a thumbtack. Or ill.

Similar to a Driver's License photo is my work ID, of which I have two. One for each job. On the Case Management badge, I am stretched long and thin, which for my body would be kinda nice. For my head, not so much. Don't even try to imagine it; it's not pretty.

My other badge ID is for the hospital. I just had this one retaken about a month ago. The only other one I had from there was in 2004 when I started. I like 2004 better. I looked happy. On the new one, it was taken after working a 12hr night shift and I just look scary. No smile, although I did try to smile with my eyes and give a little grin........fail. Yes, scary. I tend to let that badge flip over to the wrong side, only letting it show briefly when I have to.

It's funny really. I even practice how I might smile, how I want to angle my head, but it never really looks like how I think it will. Methinks I worry to much.

Vanity, vanity, all it vanity.
Pride goes before a fall.
Beauty is as beauty does.

Hmmm, I think there is a lesson in all that for me.


Proverbs 31:30 ESV 
"Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."


1 Samuel 16:7 ESV
"For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart." 

Today, and every day, I need to put as much energy into my inward beauty as what I put into my outward appearance for photo ID day. Putting on gentleness, layering with joy and stepping out in love. Good hair day/bad hair day really doesn't matter (as long as I don't scare small children) if what God has made beautiful within me shines outward. 

Love,
Dianne


P.S. While most Bible verses expound the virtues of inner beauty, Solomon sings a different song. There is a time and place for outward beauty, and with all my heart, this is what I want Leo to sing for me. Who doesn't want hair like a flock of goats?


Song of Solomon 4:1 
"Behold, you are beautiful, my love, behold, you are beautiful! Your eyes are doves behind your veil. Your hair is like a flock of goats leaping down the slopes of Gilead."


No comments:

Post a Comment