Sunday, January 4, 2015

Falling for The Fall Guy



I am feeling a little vintage right now. Leo and Heather are taking Amy back to college tonight and it is just me and Ryan here. Not that being with my 11 year old son makes me feel old; in fact, he keeps my young, but I am having a flashback to my youth and that is making me feel old-ish. Actually, I'll stick with vintage or classic.

We spent the afternoon being lazy. He played HayDay on my phone, I read a book and took a nap. Now, this evening I decided to put on a DVD series that I had at the house and just hadn't taken the time to watch.

Does anybody else remember "The Fall Guy"? With Lee Majors? Well, I do.

November 4, 1981 was the air date. I was 11 years old and this, along with Magnum, P.I. became favorite shows to watch. I thought I'd share the joy with Ryan and have us a little mother-son bonding time.

He thought the cars were cool, but that they looked like old cars. Old cars. Well, okay then. I always thought the pickup truck that Colt Seavers drove was one rad truck. I think I even had a model truck, one of the Stomper 4x4's that was brown and thus became "The Fall Guy" truck.

And yes, I said rad up there. I am feeling the 80's vibe. Like totally.

You know, I had to explain to Ryan what a CB radio was. Nothing like needing a cell phone to call for backup and all you have is your CB radio. (Citizens Band radio in case you were wondering).
10-4 Good Buddy.

As we watched, it was funny to see certain things. Like the baby in the backseat. Just laying on the back seat. No infant car seat in sight at all. Wow, have times changed. We won't even get into the hair styles and clothing although there were some that actually looked a little like trends I've seen in more recent years.

As for the car chases, all I can say is I am remembering some of why we liked watching the show. Driving on 2 wheels, jumping bridges, car chases that could only be described as epic as the phrase "burning rubber" takes on new life. It is also coming back to me why I would think riding in helicopters is a little scary.  And this was all just in the pilot episode.

The hour is late now. Ryan is wound down and ready for bed. Leo and Heather are headed home and I pray as they "put the pedal to the medal" (as the Fall Guy would say) that they will have a safe trip. As for me, I'm going to brush my teeth and get my vintage self off to bed.

Good Night,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment