Sunday, May 11, 2014

Dandelion Trails


Blessings on thy sunny face,
In my heart thou hast a place,
Humble Dandelion!...
(Source: "Canadian Wild Flowers," by Helen M. Johnson)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day was busy (aren't they all?)
with errands, cleaning, cooking and phone calls.
I was out and about, one more thing yet to do;
but then I came home and found such a trail.
From my parked car, 
down the sidewalk and into the door,
everywhere, everywhere, dandelions galore.
Through the kitchen and hall, 
bathroom, bedrooms and all,
I followed a trail,
a Dandelion Trail
which my little boy had made forgetting no detail. 

Carefully, carefully I tiptoed up the stairs,
for the trail, not just in singles, now split off in pairs.
He went to each bedroom, stopping just at each door
laying a posie right on the floor. 

Then in my room,
I found this sweet surprise.
A Mother's Day's gift 
bringing a twinkle to my eyes.


Now as I sit drinking coffee on this Mother's Day morning,
I think of my children who gave me this calling.
To be wise, to be gentle,
to be fierce when I need be,
to be tender, to be funny
to be forgiving, showing mercy. 

Oh gracious, what a journey
this motherhood thing,
but I was raised by a mother
who was wise, who was tender;
she was fierce when needed,
but yet tender and funny.
She was always forgiving, teaching me about mercy,
loving me and my sisters (even when we made life topsy-turvy).

Thank you Mom for all that you are,
for being my friend, my guide, my confidant.
You've given me the example, 
a good one to follow,
of being a mother to my little brood
making me worthy of Dandelion bouquets
making me smile, feeling renewed. 


(Whew, that was a crazy rhyming nightmare!)
Love,
Dianne

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

2 comments:

  1. there's nothing more precious than a Dandelion bouquet from a child. many blessings this Mother's Day Diane. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marsha and I am sending Mother's Day Blessings in abundance your way! :)

    ReplyDelete