Friday, May 23, 2014

Blue Sharpie Marker Notes


I have a surprise downstairs.

I am on the phone. Ryan is trying to get my attention and he hands me a handwritten note. 
Putting up a one finger in his direction to indicate "just a minute", I continue my phone call. 

How much more time?

Another note appears in front of me on my desk. I notice that Ryan is wearing an apron and his eyebrows raise in a question as he waits in my office doorway for an answer. 

I have to take a shower

These little 3x5 inch slips of white paper with messages written in blue Sharpie marker are placed in front of me and as these small, sequential notes keep appearing one-by-one, I am starting to feel like I am viewing the old ads for Burma-Shave.

I love you LETS GO

He's starting to poke his head into my office with increasing frequency. 

Hurry up!

I nod my head and shoo him away. I am trying to wrap the phone call up but his cuteness is 
a little distracting. Just a little. Okay, a lot. 

2
more
minutes

Then, in less than the allotted two minutes:

1 more minute

I'm trying Ryan, really I am. 

Minute up.

I nod my head and mouth the words, "I'm be down in just a sec."
The next slip of paper he lays in front of me telling me "It is Amazing" 
even has scribbled decorations in each corner. 


This is quickly followed by:
Can I have a prize for it?

I give him a look. 
You know, the look.

He continues his thought:
because you are going to love it. 

I can't help it. I am smiling and I am pretty sure the person on the other end of the phone can tell something is going on. I am trying to sound professional and this boy of mine is tugging on my heart. 

One last appeal.
Please come down before it gets ruined. 

I hang up the phone. 
He makes me close my eyes as he leads me down the stairs. 
The kitchen is straightened up.
The living room is organized. 
He did his best to make the house look nice just for me,
because he loves me. 

He even lined up our ridiculous amount of shoes that are always accumulating in the kitchen.
You want to talk about speaking this mama's love language!
I decided that his love language is quality time and tonight, I'll have a surprise for him. 
Now, where is that blue Sharpie marker? 

Love,
Dianne








2 comments:

  1. That's so sweet of him.

    I get a lot of notes shoved at me when ever I am on the phone. I dislike talking on the phone to begin with and notes make it even harder to not get distracted, they also give the perfect excuse to wrap it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't argue with that: He is a sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete