Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Shakespeare on Spring

As I sat down to write this, I kept thinking about going for a walk instead. Distraction does nothing for concentration and much for procrastination. Then, as I went to the kitchen sink and looked out, I saw Shakespeare, looking like he needed adventure. 

So, after getting Adrienne in the mood for a walk with us, we were off. I had an ulterior motive. See, if Shakespeare wanted to run (and I knew he would), Adrienne could do that part and I could save my poor aching knees. Why did I never think about how walking a dog could alter the way my knees cooperate? 

(This is Shakespeare typing now.) 
Really now, I am not that hard on the knees. 
If my lady could only just keep up the pace, then all would be quite lovely. 
All she would have to do is put her nose to the ground and GOOOOOO!
See how easy I make it look: 

As we walked and talked, we took in the beauty all around us. To see the beef cows grazing with their babies tagging along, out in the oh-so-green pasture is calming. (Not so calming when they are out grazing the flower beds, but that's another blog.) 

Calming? Did my lady say "calming"? 
Oh, that herd of bovine is just waiting for me to frolic about with them and then we'll see how calming it is. You know, between you and me, I think I could keep those cows out of my lady's flowers. Now I just need to convince her of that. Maybe if I didn't just run off like a shot out of a cannon when they let me loose, she'd believe me. Maybe. But it's all so exciting! 

See how it makes me smile? 

 If the bovine in the field make Shakespeare smile, with that big tongue of his lolling about, this is what makes me smile (without the tongue hanging out, that is.) SPRINGTIME!!
I love the lacy mantle of light green that is starting to blanket the mountainsides, mixed with the red buds barely containing themselves from bursting.

Apple blossoms make me smile too.


Even skunk cabbage is beautiful in the Spring. Shakespeare even thinks so. He told me.

Ahem, I would rather chase skunks, thank you very much. 

We have started extending our walks back to the woods and for whatever reason, Shakespeare wants to check out this tree (see below). Every. Single. Time. And every single time I say, "No!" because there is a lovely patch of poison ivy growing there.

Poison ivy, pssshh. Like I am worried about a little patch of weeds. 
Someday, this tree and I will meet. 
Someday. 

I don't think so, dear Shakespeare. 


Spring, Oh Spring
You make me want to sing,
or rather, howl at the moon
shining bright over the fields, the cows and the blooms.
I smell the brown earth as the rain makes it green,
and gaze about in wonder at all I have seen. 
The puddles, the chickens, the lone mourning dove,
the mud and the rain; I think it is love. 

And for now, I'll bid thee adieu. 
Until the morrow,
when light through yonder window breaks. 
Parting is such sweet sorrow. 

Shakespeare, oh Shakespeare, what am I to do with you? 

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment