Saturday, May 27, 2017

Jogging in Jeans

I have never been a graceful runner. I kinda thought I was, that is, until I was running a 50 yard dash in middle school for the Presidential Physical Fitness Award and somebody made fun of my leg and how it would kick out to the side as I dashed. After that, I was always self-conscious and never went out of my way to run. Well, there was a time at a family reunion baseball game and I was sporting a post-baby, just-finished-weaning-a-baby-from-breastfeeding body. The video which was viewed later was not one of my finer moments and cemented in my mind why I should not be a runner.

Ba-boom-ba, ba-boom-ba comes to mind.

So, two evenings ago I decided to go for a walk and as I walked, I decided to challenge myself to see just how fast I could do one mile. I decided that if I did a combination of fast walking and some running, I could improve my time. Ready....set.....go.....

Initially my plan was to run only when there were no cars coming because of my funny running gait with the side leg kick thing that I assume I still do but haven't really checked, but all the stopping and starting was messing with my time and seriously, was there more traffic than usual?!? And, apparently I should have thought through my plan and dressed accordingly. Jeans and a regular looking t-shirt aren't "running gear". You'll understand shortly.

Backing up my story a little, let me tell you what my left leg was like when I was born. I don't think it was technically a clubfoot, at least not how I think of them, but it was more just really turned inwards. I wore a brace at night until I was at least 6 years old. It had a shoe on the bottom and my dad cut the toe end off because it got too small. I'd like to think this is why I run "funny", but I actually think I just simply run funny.

I may have heard once of twice: "You run like a girl." Which is okay, because I am a girl and I know a lot of girls who run AWESOME!!
                                 I know, adorable! But here you can see my foot rotated inwardly.                             I liked cake then. I still like cake. This is why I should be running. 


Okay, that's my little backstory.  Now, why shouldn't I wear jeans and a t-shirt to jog in? Well, just as I was bouncing along at a decent pace, deciding that I didn't care who saw me and I was just going to fly like the wind, I hear a car approach from behind. It slowed down and as there was no other traffic, no other reason to stop, I knew I was the reason. 

A concerned woman rolled down her window and asked, "Is everything okay? Do you need help?"
 I replied, in a somewhat breathless voice that I tried to make sound normal, " Umm, no, I'm just out for a walk and decided to run a bit."  To this, she smiled a little and gave me a thumbs up before going on her way. 

Oh dear. Do I really look like a panic-stricken woman running to get help when I jog?? Maybe this just means:
1.)  I was going fast (wishful thinking) like I was truly getting help.
2.) She saw smoke in the distance and thought I was running for help for real despite the cell phone in my hand that could've just dialed 911.
3.) Maybe she thought I literally needed help, like I needed oxygen.
4.) Or it was the oddness of jogging in jeans. 

I'd go with number 4. 

I'm headed out again for a walk, maybe run. If you see me, just wave and smile. I'll be the one in colorful flowered leggings and a t-shirt.

Love,
Dianne




No comments:

Post a Comment