Monday, February 20, 2017

Reading The Glass Castle

Image result for glass castle quotes


This morning, as I sat at the kitchen table in a perfect rectangle of sunshine, I finished a book. Years ago, before college and career, I used to read more often. Bookcases that claimed prime space in my home have been claimed by dust. I occasionally blow on the shelves as I walk by and that is about the extent of my contact with books (and my dusting if you must know) that had once been friends. Now there are many that are not even known to me as I've collected them at thrift shops, yard sales, auctions and Ollie's, but have yet to read them. But this morning, I finished a book and it feels so good, like I've accomplished something great. It is so much more than browsing the web, reading something that takes seconds before moving on to the next item on my feed.

The book title is The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. I am asking myself why I didn't get around to reading this sooner as it has been on my bedside stand for about three years. Probably longer. Let's just say that it's owner probably forgot who they lent it to. I have two more books of hers yet to read and if she charges an overdue fine, I may need to take out a second mortgage on the house.

But this book? I can see why it spent 261 weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List. I was drawn into the life of this family, their struggles, their strength, and the determination to take what life gave and not let it beat the living of life out of them. I can't really explain it or put into words how this book affected me, but Jeanette certainly could. Masterfully written, she puts a vulnerable slice of her life out there without apology. She tells it like it was and all I can say (again) is "Why did it take me so long to read this?"

Lesson learned. Take some time to read a book. Do it for yourself; it's a gift.
My next book to read: Accidental Saints: Finding God in all the Wrong People by Nadia Bolz-Weber.

Actually dusting the bookshelves can wait for another day.

Love,
Dianne

PS. While I do recommend this book, just know that there is some language that is raw and may be offensive. For me, this kept it real, but I thought I needed to say it somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment