Friday, January 2, 2015

Swiss Vs. Swill




When a menu item is described and ingredients are named, an error in spelling can make the difference between having a melty slice of Swiss cheese topping your choice of meat or having it dripping with leftover kitchen scraps more befitting a pig, otherwise known as Ham 'n Swill. Yes, spelling makes a difference. Thank you auto-correct.

We've all read the funny compilations of texts gone wrong that occur when a smart phone takes control and thinks it knows just what you want to say. The other week, for instance, I was texting Aaron trying to get a better idea on gifts for his wife Lisa-Anna. When he responded with a list of items that made sense, I was grateful. But then he ended with "...or any car-themed stuff", and I was a little mystified. With my eyebrows raised, I said aloud, "What does car-themed mean??" I mean, I think she likes her car and everything but to buy her car-themed stuff? I wasn't so sure.

Maybe he just meant that she needed an ice-scraper, an air freshener or car mats. To me, this was not a gift that said, "I love you." It said, "Car". That's it. Car.

So I replied to Aaron. "Car-themed?"
He responded. "Lol cat haha."

Yes, a letter or a few letters can totally change what is being said.

Now, back to the sandwich. That really happened. On Facebook, the sandwich of the day for a local eatery was posted with a description. Swiss was auto-corrected to Swill and suddenly the special or the day became strange. In case you've never looked it up, here's the definition:

Swill (noun): kitchen refuse and scraps of waste food mixed with water for feeding to pigs.
synonyms: pigswill, mash, slops, scraps, refuse, scourings, leftovers; archaic hogwash
"swill for the pigs"


Mmmmm. It's almost as bad as the auto-correct I once had changing "feta cheese" to "fetal cheese". Mmmmm.

(For the record, the post describing the Swill Sandwich was deleted.)

So often, I say something and it comes out wrong. Maybe not the wrong words, but words that are meant one way but come out sounding like something else. That happens a lot in my house with teasing or even just in general conversation. Someone always takes what is said either seriously or in the wrong way. A simple sigh can turn into a "I hate my life" groan without even meaning too. Feelings get hurt and sometimes the words hurt more than the sticks and stones.

I need a reminder to keep my words gentle, my tone soft, my body language nonthreatening. When discipline is needed, I want it to be effective but I don't want to resort to meanness. Just because I am tired, stressed or scared is no excuse for harshness.

Ephesians 4:29English Standard Version 29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Proverbs 16:24 English Standard Version (ESV)
24 Gracious words are like a honeycomb,
sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

Proverbs 15:1English Standard Version (ESV)

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

I don't want my words to be swill. I want to give the best to my family, my children. And if I mess up again (and I'm pretty sure I will) I'm letting my words here be my reminder. I want to be accountable. I am responsible for the words that come out of my mouth, not auto-correct. 

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment