Sunday, December 8, 2013

O Christmas Tree Named Noel


O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
How lovely are thy branches!
Not only green when summer's here
But in the coldest time of year.
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
How lovely are thy branches!



The other day (Actually, it's been days. Well, more like almost a week.), Ryan and I got permission from the other kids to pick out our tree this year. After school, I met him at the bus and we went to the Nursery at the end of the driveway. The tree lineup awaited us.

Tree #1. Too many branches pushed up at odd angles.
Tree #2. Too short.
Tree #3. Too skinny. 
Tree #4. Wrong shade of green.
Tree #5. Lopsided.

Tree #6. Hmmm. Let's see. I think this one has possibility. 

Time to roll up the old sleeves. Why?
Someone walked up the lane. Someone didn't bring the truck. Someone wanted to get the tree right now! No, that someone was not Ryan. It may have been Leo me.


I think we are ready. Right, Ryan?
He even flexed his muscles for me and cracked his knuckles before we started.
My little he-man.

3/10ths of a mile. That's our driveway. That's how long we had to go to carry our tree. We walked. We talked. We laughed like crazy. We named our tree. 

Her name is Noel. 

We made it to the house and got her inside where she is still awaiting, 5 days later, to be properly adorned and festooned with all matter of garland and light. 
In doing all this, the song "O Christmas Tree" or "O Tannenbaum" was in my head and I couldn't help it, I had to look it up. Did you know there are a few different versions? The verse at the top of this page is the one I always sing, the only one I can really remember. After I looked it up though, I found another verse that I like even better. This is the verse I want to sing when I think about our Christmas tree. 


O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,

How sturdy God hath made thee!
Thou bidds't us all place faithfully
Our trust in God, unchangingly!
O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
How sturdy God hath made thee!

Love, 
Dianne

2 comments: