Monday, August 5, 2013

Evenings Are Meant For This


This morning feels like such a long time ago.

I got off work and headed straight to a little coffee shop in Davidsville. Every once in a while, I stop just simply because. No other reason than that. I enjoyed a caramello coffee and a slice of lemon pound cake as I drove and I let the cares of 3 nights in a row melt away. I listened to a PBS radio station and mellowed as Bach and Beethoven did their thing.

In Garrett, I was fighting the overwhelming urge to pull over and sleep, and instead of doing that, I went a different route home and decided to stop at Summit Country Market for some groceries. A "bent -and-dent" kind of place, I enjoy the variety of gourmet items at a much cheaper cost. The sound of hymns playing overhead softly only adds to the atmosphere in this out of the way market. I loaded my car and turned it toward home.

Laundry was waiting for me and just the normal general cleaning up after a weekend where everyone was everywhere but home for long. You know what I mean. Stuff gets piled on the kitchen table, dishes gather in the sink, etc, etc. But today, all my girls were home and they all pitched in a here and there and we got it livable again. Not spotless, but it'll do.

As I hung the laundry on the line, I spied my unplanted shrubs. Today would be the day; I just needed to do it!  I got my holly bushes planted that have been waiting patiently since June. Actually the two female shrubs were waiting for a male and I got one on clearance at Walmart, so now I have a happy little holly corner. Getting something done that has been on the list in my head for much too long is so satisfying.

Since I was on a roll, I decided to shred the zucchini that was starting to take over the kitchen counter and get it in bags for the freezer. And since it was not shredded, why not make some Decadent Chocolate Zucchini Bread? (Which, I am smelling as it bakes, and oh, it smells divine.)

And now, at 9:00pm? I am in a favorite spot that I never take the time to enjoy. But tonight, I am. I have my mug of coffee and my laptop with music playing softly as I type. The candles are lit and the smell of vanilla is mingling with the chocolate.




















Oh wait, the bread is done and as I sliced the first piece it was so hot I almost couldn't hold it. The steam burst forth with the first cut of the knife and the chocolate vapor made me swoon. Now, I am recovering with the crusty end piece and more coffee.

Some evenings are just meant to be enjoyed. And I am going to continue to do just that until I fall asleep.

Love,
Dianne





No comments:

Post a Comment